CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Sunday, July 20, 2008

Ben's Wildlife Rescue!

So Monday night, I'm just picking up the house-waiting for Ben and Mason to get home from locking up the church building. I heard the garage door open and thought,"Man, they're taking a while coming inside.."

They finally came through the door, Ben was carrying a bucket and seemed boyishly excited, "C'mon Mason! Lets go in the backyard!!!" as he rushed through the house.

I didn't know WHAT they were up to 'till I saw the the shadow of the head of, what I thought was, a snake! As I was bolting up the stairs to lock the door, Ben realized he better let me in on their little adventure. All he said was,"It's a turtle. I SAVED IT!"


After a HUGE sigh of relief, I just laughed
and shook my head- This is SO Ben and yet...the last thing I expected all at the same time. So I joined them in the backyard where Ben relayed the events to me of driving down the busy road and seeing the turtle crossing it. Fearing for it's safety (AND he thought Mason would think it was COOL!)- He drove the few blocks home, grabbed a bucket and went into ACTION!!
That night we had an impromptu FHE of building a turtle habitat out of Mason's old pool. We threw in some fresh lettuce out of our garden, a couple of rocks for him to perch on and a flower pot for him to sleep in. Ben even grabbed my patio chair and placed it partially OVER the little pool so the little guy could have some shade from the HOT sun. Mason LOVED every minute of it! He kept saying,"Hi Turtle! What doin'?"

We've had a FUN week with him. We've named him ROCKET due to his ability
to kick it into high gear when we try to pick him up. We've had some turtle races and Mason loves to pretend to be a turtle and crawl on his belly next to Rocket. Mason has helped change Rocket's water and feed him apples. (Rocket's Fav!) Yep, It's been fun but it is drawing to a close as we will probably be releasing him back into the pond near our house. But we hope that he will have lots of great stories to tell his fellow turtle buddies about us. AND that he'll stay away from the busy road!!!! :D

3 comments:

Val said...

Silly boys! That would NEVER happen at our house!

Brittany said...

Great story! Ben is always looking out for the "turtles" in this world. The pictures are really cute...you can tell that Mason really loves Rocket. Love the name - by the way. And I'm sure Rocket will speak highly about his time with you...You'll probably wake up tomorrow morning to a family of turtles begging to move in!!!

Becky said...

I LOVE Rocket! Just be sure Mason's taking his nap when you release him to the pond. We had to do that when giving away a kitten we adopted recently. Lindsey still got upset, but I'm sure it could have been much more traumatic having to say goodbye herself. Instead, we just told her the kitty had to go home to his mommy. That seemed to do the trick.

I love the blog by the way!! You'll have to let me know who took your family pictures if they're anyone here locally. VERY CUTE!

Becky (and Ben)